Holi is a popular festival in India that is celebrated with great enthusiasm and joy. While the festival is primarily associated with the northern region of the country, different states in India have their unique way of celebrating this festival.
Here are some different types of celebrated in different states of India:
- Lathmar Holi – Uttar Pradesh: In the town of Barsana in Uttar Pradesh. This festival is celebrated with a unique tradition called Lathmar Holi. Women beat men with sticks, and men try to shield themselves with shields.
- Phaguwa – Bihar: Holi in Bihar is known as Phaguwa and is celebrated with a lot of pomp and show. The celebrations start a week before the actual festival. And people dance to the beats of dhols and sing Holi songs.
- Dol Jatra – West Bengal: In West Bengal, Holi is celebrated as Dol Jatra. Where people throw colors at each other and sing songs. The festival is celebrated with grandeur in the state, especially in Shantiniketan.
- Yaosang – Manipur: In Manipur, which is a seven-day festival. On the first day, a torch is lit, and the festival is celebrated with lots of dancing, singing, and the exchange of sweets.
- Shigmo – Goa: In Goa, which is a spring festival that lasts for almost a month. The festival is marked by the procession of decorated floats, music, and dance.
- Khadi Holi – Uttarakhand: In Uttarakhand, is celebrated as Khadi Holi, where people rub khadi or raw wool on each other’s faces instead of using colors. The celebration is marked by lots of singing, dancing, and feasting.
- Rang Panchami – Maharashtra: In Maharashtra, the color festival is celebrated as Rang Panchami, which is a five-day festival. People smear colors on each other and enjoy traditional delicacies.
- Basant Utsav – Punjab: In Punjab, Holi is celebrated as Basant Utsav, which is a festival of the arrival of spring. People wear yellow clothes and enjoy traditional Punjabi food and music.
These are some of the different types of Holi celebrated in different states of India. While the essence of the festival remains the same, the unique traditions and customs make the celebrations even more special.
Director Digital & Social Media Marketing | Affiliate Marketing | Media Buying | Trainer / Visiting Faculty Digital Marketing. Having 14+ Years of Experience in Digital Marketing. It was my hard work and effort that I was bestowed with “India’s Top 100 Digital Marketing Leadership Award” and “Indian Achiever’s Award” 2022